Home Solar Power

So Mike's last post got me curious about installing a PV solar power system at my home. Apart from the aesthetics of installing 800 sq feet of solar panels on my roof, I'm 100% open to the idea if it is cost feasible. I found a site that allows you to input your zip code (so they can determine how much sunlight on average you are going to receive), your utility company (so they know how much per KW/H you pay for power), and your average monthly bill for electricity.

Honestly, I was skeptical that it would be cost effective, but when I got my results, I was blown away. Including property value appreciation, it would take me less than one year to break even (this includes the state and federal rebates available). Removing property value appreciation from the equation, it would only take 7 years for this investment to break even. Not to mention the 203 tons of CO2 saved, or nearly half a million auto miles.

Check it out for yourself.

3 comments:

The Doctor said...

Very cool site. Seems that the break even is going to be in the 7-8 year range for a decent sized home. I like how it breaks down all of the numbers.

Anonymous said...

PV roof cells, the inverters and the link to the grid that allows back billing to the pool for overage is a wave of the future. Not much more expensive than a dope tile roof (OK, like 30%) and many homes in states like FL and CA can be damn near self sufficient.

Matt Stambaugh said...

This is very nice to hear. When solar and other forms of renewable energy become affordable (like here with solar in Florida) people will make the switch. A fundamental law of economics is whatever is easiest and/or cheapest will be adopted by the masses.