Christmas Morning Mimosas- "The Aftermath"


I understand that I am the "green investment" guy around this blog however I decided to go a different route with my post today. Especially with the financial markets in a holiday coma.

So I just completed another holiday week in which my brother flew in from Boston and my sister drove over from Orlando. We proceeded to pah-ty wicked hard, as my brother's fellow Bostonians would say, for the better part of a week. If I had to guess 4 bottles of champagne, 10 bottles of wine, and several hundred bottles of beer were consumed by ourselves and friends during that time. I mean who am I to change the family tradition of waking up Christmas morning to presents, stockings, and delicious Mimosas for breakfast!

All of this got me thinking- what the heck happens to all of that glass? So I jumped on the fancy interweb this morning and began googling glass recycling and the like. Wouldn't you know it, up popped this wonderful article written by Kate Galbraith for the New York Times.

The Fate of Recycled Christmas Wine Bottles

Now if somebody could come up with a way to begin wrapping our Christmas presents in recycled glass we would really be onto something!

7 comments:

Michael Lombard said...

Good article from the Green Inc. blog. Oregon and California leading the way once again in mandating sustainable business practices. It kind of deflates me that all my paper and plastic recycling is basically for naught since it gets shipped all the way over to China (think of all the fuel that's burned in the process).

Greg said...

Recycling is not for naught, but it is reactive and more wasteful than its often overlooked brother Precycling...doing things to avoid waste and reduce what we put in our recycling bin.

Lets make a solar-powered kegerator!

Trevor said...

I guess boxes of wine and Kegs would be better. Maybe that's how I'll convince my wife that we need a Kegerator upstairs. "It's for the environment and our children's futures."

Michael Lombard said...

If your home was powered by renewable energy, then running a fridge whose sole purpose is to keep several gallons of beer cold for days on end so that you can pour a few ounces per day would not be that much of a problem. But, as your home is probably powered predominantly by coal power, it might be worse than filling dozens of empty beer bottles with motor oil and throwing them away in a spring-fed river.

Matt Stambaugh said...

Trevor I think I'll use that logic on my wife as well (I'll leave out Lombard's comments).

Trevor said...

If I had a kegerator, I could get rid of the fridge in my garage whose sole purpose is to keep beer cold.

Michael Lombard said...

Nice! I don't remember that being on your "guilty pleasures/eco-fouls" list from an earlier post.

We should start an ongoing post where we list the worst eco-fouls that we've ever seen. Trev, yours could be first.