Green Collar Careers

This time I'm not commenting on any articles or linking to any web sites. I'm just gonna ask a few real-life questions about how we see green affecting our careers, if at all. Here goes:

1. Is your dream job a "green-collar" job of any sort?

It doesn't have to be working for Greenpeace or anything, but does that sweet job you've been keeping your eye on for a while have any element that contributes in a meaningful way to the green movement? What about your current job? My current job...well, not so much (although we do build a lot of EnergyStar rated homes that are quite energy efficient). My dream job, however, would be to lead large-scale green/sustainable building projects all over the world. I think that would be a meaningful contribution.

2. What are you willing to sacrifice to land a green-collar job?

Two years studying for a master's? Taking a pay cut to apprentice with a well-known green company? Giving up the relative security of a corporate job to start up your own company? Right now, I'm in the process of deciding whether I wanna enter a Project Management MBA program at the University of Texas at Dallas. It would give me a better shot at landing a project manager position,which would give me a better shot at leading green projects worldwide. However, it's extremely expensive and time-consuming. How much do I really wanna be a Greenius?

3. What job sector should you be in right now to put yourself in prime position for jumping on an amazing green opportunity...the Green Google, or the Green iPod?

Would you be willing to start putting things in motion right now to get into that industry? Our generation jusy barely missed out on the career and investment opportunities of the IT Revolutuon of the 90's. This time around, with the Green Revolution getting ready to ignite in the U.S., our generation is in prime position to play the game. But, we have to be on the field to play the game. Can't be on the sidelines!

--
Sent from my mobile device

4 comments:

Matt Stambaugh said...

1. To be honest I don't know if a "green-collar" job is my dream job. This is not because I don't think Green is awesome, quite the contrary. It's more that my passions (or obsessions) are constantly shifting, but perhaps Green will stick.

2. I'm willing to sacrifice my free time, as evidenced by my time spent here. I am currently pursuing a MBA and I do think it will put me in a better position to land a green-collar job if the opportunity arises.

3. I think alternative energy is the biggest and most important industry you could be in for a green career. As for myself, I currently work for the University of Southern Mississippi. While Higher Education does not immediately seem a hotbed for the Green Revolution, it should play a big part. For one, according to the USM Office of Sustainability, "with approximately 17 million students currently enrolled in institutions of higher education, supporting faculty and staff, large buildings, infrastructure, and considerable travel, we consume approximately 20% of our nations’ natural resources (www.usm.edu/green)." This is a big chunk of our nations' natural resource use and universities need to lead by example by becoming sustainable. Second, universities produce scientist, business people, and research that will move the Green Revolution forward.

The Doctor said...

Mike- I know you are looking at possibly returning to school. Just wondering if you had also checked out this program.

http://lfm.mit.edu/

Trevor said...

Obviously, I see green construction as a big part of my future. I would like to look into a LEEDS certification and learn more about sustainable and energy efficient construction. I also see it as a way of differentiating myself in a competitive job market.

Michael Lombard said...

Trev, I'm with you. I definitely want to pursue LEED certs. You should come out with us to the International Builders Show in Vegas in January. It's sick how much cool homebuilding technology you'll see out there.