Was the Grinch the first Green Santa Claus?



I guess literally and metaphorically, he was. He took the gifts and decorations from the whos and thought he would stop Christmas from coming. Didn't matter, they had Christmas without all that. I know my family has tried to buy less "plasticrap" this year, and I think if everyone bought a little less and gave a little more it would be a win for the environment and our finances. And we wouldn't have to cancel Christmas.

Check this out for 20 ways to wrap your presents without waste. My personal favorite is the present inside of a sock. I'm a little unsure about the aluminum foil, but perhaps it's been used and washed and saved from the trash. I'm assuming there are already many people on the "green Christmas wrapping paper alternative" bandwagon, but if anyone has any ideas I'm sure there's room for some Greeniuses as well. I guarantee that in 5 years wrapping paper as we know it today will be drastically different.

I'd like to weigh in on the age-old green debate on which is better: real Christmas trees or fake Christmas trees. My response is that not having a tree is best. For those of us with wives and or children who must have a tree, I say go with a real tree from a local farm. If not, then you can be like my family and use the same fake tree for 10 years and counting. This is already being done, but I see huge potential in the Christmas tree rental business. They bring a tree in a pot to your house and you hang stuff on it and put your presents beneath it. On January 1 they pick it up and plant it somewhere. Can they make a Prius with a truck body so this part of it is greener?

Ed. Note: This Christmas edition of my green living post was originally entitled "I'm dreaming of a Green Christmas," until I noticed that there were no fewer than 12,400 blog posts or internet pages of the same title.

Ed. Note: This post was typed using ECO Font. Font with microscopic holes in it so that when printed it uses less ink. Please don't print this just to see it, because that would be wasting paper. Great idea though, don't you think?

4 comments:

Greg said...

Eco font...who woulda thought. Great post Trevor! I think you're on to something with your tree service, it could be complimented with a service to install exterior LED lights on the house also.

I'm wrapping all my presents this year in old newspapers out of my Mom's recycling bin.

Michael Lombard said...

Are there places that will take your Christmas tree and do something eco-friendly with it? If so, you wouldn't need to do the rental thing necessarily. Or you could do what my boys back in Polk County do: just lace the tree with firecrackers, dowse in gasoline, and light a match. It's provides quite a spectacle for your New Year's Eve party, I promise. But, it's not the safest thing or the most environmentally friendly idea either.

Matt Stambaugh said...

I think for now a fake tree used for at least a decade is the best way (unless you do no tree at all). I must confess that I was not even thinking and wrapped my gifts in wrapping paper. Another example of the many little unsustainable things we all do without thinking.

On that note, my New Years resolution is to become as green as possible. I'll take baby steps of course so as to not burn myself out. I was thinking of getting one of those rubber arm bands people wear, but in green with something like "Be a Greenius" inscribed on it, but that would be wasteful considering it would have to be shipped to me. I think I will just wrap a piece of twine around my wrist instead.

Michael Lombard said...

Good idea about the wristband. The carbon impact is probably negligible considering the efficiency of delivery services and the small weight of the item. Plus, if it sells the idea of going green, then it's doing way more good than harm. I say go for it (and order me one too)!