I've Got Green in Low Places...

This past week, I came across several articles that show how Green Building is starting to pop up in places you'd never expect.  Here are but a few of them:
  1. "Green Nightclub Trend Comes to New York" from the NY Times' Green Inc. blog.  I had never really considered looking to nightclubs for examples of Green Building, but apparently they have more to offer than eardrum popping music, hotties who apparently don't like it when you do the Mangina for them, and $12 whiskeys in plastic cups.  Good to know.
  2. "Project 3.0 greens Ybor City"...as a born & raised central Florida boy, I was amazed to read that the 103 year old Tampa Bay Brewing Company building is undergoing a green renovation.  If Green Building can work in this building, they can work anywhere.
  3. "New spas go green"...even the Mecca of poor urban planning, Atlanta, is showing signs of green innovation.  I love the quote from the spa founder & CEO:  "We've always been interested in building with energy efficiency and eco-chic design."  
Eco-chic, I hadn't heard that phrase before.  I think I like it, but I'm kind of dubious because it makes Green sound like just a fad.  Is Green Building the next fad?  Will it go the way of boy bands, slap bracelets, Pauly Shore, and such?  Or will it be an ever-enduring fad, like The Beatles?  Only time will tell, but I'm betting on Green.

8 comments:

Trevor said...

I don't see Green as a fad, although it is trendy right now. I see that as an asset for the green movement. The question of whether it will go the way of "We are the World," or stick around for years depends on whether it can be profitable. To me, that takes an investment by the government (thank God for Obama).

Also, please note that the building in Ybor is owned by Joe Rednor. Green Mons Venus anyone?

The Doctor said...

I enjoyed reading all of the links above. In the Ybor article follow the link to the earthship they are building out in bfe Florida.... Crazy stuff but really interesting.

Trust me Trevor, Mons already has enough green go through it.... Make it rain!

Michael Lombard said...

Yeah, plenty of green at Mons. Darkish red too for that matter, but that's a whole different story.

Seriously though, I don't think Green is a fad at all. Some folks who are a little behind the times see all the hype and assume that hype = fad.

Matt Stambaugh said...

Articles like this certainly seem to indicate that Green is becoming widespread. If it does turn out to be a fad, it will only be in the short term, because eventually humanity is not going to have a choice about going green.

What is really going to make it happen in the short term is government regulation. Just as the government regulates pollution, working conditions, and product safety it should logically regulate unsustainable practices.

The Doctor said...

That Ybor article actually gave me an idea for an interview. I need to find out who ever it is in Tampa that advises the Mayor on green policy and have a chat. What do you guys think?

Michael Lombard said...

That would be amazing. Maybe you can interview the owner of the Ybor building? Go for it!

Greg said...

Green building is definitely not a fad, cities all across the US are developing their Green Building Programs...even Dallas (http://www.greendallas.net/green_buildings.html)

And for the record, everyone loves the mangina.

Matt Stambaugh said...

I guess I'll never know Digital, as your mangina never appeared while I was in Dallas despite promises by Mike.

In all seriousness, I think your interview idea is great Doc.