Skype Gives Me a Green Christmas


I love Skype.  I couldn't make it back to Florida for Christmas this year.  No matter.  Thanks to my free Skype account, I just opened presents with my entire extended family from 1700 miles away.  Sweet!

If you don't know, Skype is an internet phone service that also lets you do video calls if you have a web cam.  It works great and the video calls are absolutely free.  I highly recommend this company.

Anyways, not only is it cool that I got to "be" my family on Christmas Eve, but I also reduced my carbon footprint by not getting on an airplane this holiday season.  Good green stuff.

4 comments:

Matt Stambaugh said...

Yeah that's awesome. I'll be getting a webcam very soon so I can get in on the face to face internet communication.

As for the carbon footprint thing, travel is by far my biggest contribution to global warming. I hope in my lifetime we develop energy efficient and low emission long distance travel. In the short term I would support the government imposing a carbon tax on travel by air.

Trevor said...

The only problem with this is that you can't throw the wadded up wrapping paper at your family after you open a present (which is a tradition at my house).

We are on Skype so that the grandparents can see my kids. Ten to fifteen minutes is usually sufficient and it saves many miles of travel.

Win-win-win.

Michael Lombard said...

You mean you throw 'recycled' wads of paper at your family, right?

Trevor said...

That is the recycling part. Or it's the reuse part, I can't remember.